Opkg Tags

Thomas Wood thomas at openedhand.com
Tue Mar 4 11:20:27 CET 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 11:03 +0100, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> Dnia Monday 03 of March 2008, Thomas Wood napisał:
>
> > I've implemented an extra field in the opkg package descriptions,
> > called "Tags". The idea is to fill this field with tags similar to
> > debtags, although no format is yet defined.
>
> Cool. Tags will be much better then section field which we use now and
> which is mess...

Should we even go as far as removing the section field?

> > Would people agree to using a debtag style format? That is, a white
> > space separated list with tag-name::tag-value style tags.
>
> I agree with format. This will allow to make use of debtags related
> software probably.
>
> > It would probably be advantageous to define our own vocabulary that
> > would be useful for embedded systems. The first problem I would like to
> > solve with tags is the grouping of GUI visible applications into
> > categories such as "Multimedia", "Internet", "Games", etc. Therefore, I
> > would like to suggest three tags and possible values:
>
> > role::[utility, application, library, data, repository]
>
> How does utility differ from application?

A Utility is something like "cp" or "ls". It is an application essential
to the working of the system, but one that is not really intended for
end-user use. An Application is a piece of end-user software, such as an
address book or calendar application.

> > group::[communication, programming, games, network, multimedia,
> > mapping]
>
> > interface::[console, gui]
>
> Lets take Pidgin from Debian:
>  interface::x11
>  network::client
>  protocol::{irc,jabber,msn-messenger,oscar,ssl,yahoo-messenger}
>  role::program
>  uitoolkit::gtk
>  use::chatting
>  works-with::im
>  x11::application
>
> Tag suite::{openmoko,kde,gnome,pimlico} would be nice too.

Sounds nice, but I wonder what it would be used in? I guess there is no
harm adding it to the vocabulary though.

Regards,

Thomas

--
OpenedHand Ltd.

Unit R Homesdale Business Center / 216-218 Homesdale Road /
Bromley / BR1 2QZ / UK             Tel: +44 (0)20 8819 6559

Expert Open Source For Consumer Devices - http://o-hand.com/