Opkg Tags

Marcin Juszkiewicz openembedded at haerwu.biz
Tue Mar 4 12:20:56 CET 2008

Dnia Tuesday 04 of March 2008, Thomas Wood napisał:
> On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 11:03 +0100, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> > Dnia Monday 03 of March 2008, Thomas Wood napisał:
> > > I've implemented an extra field in the opkg package descriptions,
> > > called "Tags". The idea is to fill this field with tags similar to
> > > debtags, although no format is yet defined.
> >
> > Cool. Tags will be much better then section field which we use now
> > and which is mess...
>
> Should we even go as far as removing the section field?

I would left it as it is.

> > > role::[utility, application, library, data, repository]
> >
> > How does utility differ from application?
>
> A Utility is something like "cp" or "ls". It is an application
> essential to the working of the system, but one that is not really
> intended for end-user use. An Application is a piece of end-user
> software, such as an address book or calendar application.

So application == targetted::end-user and utility == targetted::power-user
kind?

Wireshark would be utility even if it is complete GUI application but has
small amount of users?

> > Tag suite::{openmoko,kde,gnome,pimlico} would be nice too.
>
> Sounds nice, but I wonder what it would be used in? I guess there is no
> harm adding it to the vocabulary though.

Example: I have Neo1973 with rootfs on flash (64MB). I have default
OM2007.2 stack installed and do not want to install suite::efl or
suite::kde or suite::qtopia packages because their base libraries will
eat my precious space.

--
JID: hrw-jabber.org
OpenEmbedded developer/consultant

Vi has two modes: the one in which it beeps, and the one in which it
doesn't.