gta02, 2007.2: state of upgrades

Marek Lindner marek at openmoko.com
Sat Aug 2 22:55:12 CEST 2008

On Sunday, 3. August 2008 04:33:11 Andy Green wrote:
> Liek so much else, that's just waiting on someone saying DO IT.  What
> else is it waiting on precisely?

Correct me if I'm wrong:
Our booting process is a bit complicated - we have this dynamic table of bad
blocks, some uboot partitions, a kernel partition and root fs partition.
It would be nice to have _one_ image for (at least) the kernel and the rootfs.
Your config change affects a vital part of the debug tools of the system
because it is easy to break. Simply flash a new kernel (without knowing that
the ethernet does not work anymore!) and big suprise ...
In the long run it would be even handier to have only one partition for all
the interesting stuff which affect the boot (I don't know to what extend that
would be possible). Changing uboot options, getting a new uboot, changing
images, etc would be much easier ...

> Really?  Well, I guess you never tried mounting what we had before as a
> block device, echoing something into it as a tty, printing to it, as we
> can now either.

Well, that is not exactly the same thing ...

Marek