SSH session

e hanks maskvp at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 03:39:06 CEST 2008

I was having a problem with not being able to re-connect to my FR after
unplugging the usb. I'd have to reboot my lappy in order to ssh to the FR. I
saw the fix listed on the usb networking page:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/USB_Networking

Since I use Ubuntu I changed the order of the code as instructed despite the
comments that it doesn't work. It worked for me.

However, I was checking out the suggested code for /etc/network/interfaces
and it is different from what was posted several weeks ago. I had edited the
original /etc/network/interfaces to this:
----------------------------
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto usb0
iface usb0 inet static
address 192.168.0.200
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.0.0
   up iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE -s 192.168.0.0/24 &
   up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward &
   up iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT &
   down iptables -D POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE -s 192.168.0.0/24 &

iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto
---------------------------------
This has worked fine so far AFAIK.

However, the current suggested code for /etc/network/interfaces is:

 allow-hotplug usb0
 iface usb0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.200
        netmask 255.255.255.192
        post-up iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE -s 192.168.0.192/26
        post-up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
        post-up iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
        pre-down iptables -D POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE -s
192.168.0.192/26