out of the box freerunner fails to boot

Kevin Mulcahy caoimh.mulcahy at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 10:11:09 CEST 2008

Hi all
I just got my freerunner delivered today, but can't get it to boot.
I checked this support list and the wiki but can't seem to find anyone
with a similar problem.
The closest I could find was at http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/SH1  but
that refers to GTA01, so I don't think it applies to GTA02 (this is my
first phone)

An image of the screen is up on: http://i38.tinypic.com/scwgn7.jpg

I've tried holding the power button for well over 10 secs to no avail.
It is the same with or without the charger.
Removing the battery and re-trying also fails.

Logging in I get the following:

In:    usbtty
Out:   usbtty
Err:   usbtty
PCB rev: 0x001
Power: switching led 2 0
switching led 2 1
switching led 2 0
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  3 DEVICE_CONFIGURED:
1
                                                                                                0

NAND read: mtdparts variable not set, see 'help mtdparts'
incorrect device type in kernel
'kernel' is not a number
## Booting image at 32000000 ...
Bad Magic Number
GTA02v6 #
GTA02v6 # DEVICE_CONFIGURED: 1

GTA02v6 # printenv
bootcmd=setenv bootargs ${bootargs_base} ${mtdparts}; nand read.e
0x32000000 kernel; bootm 0x32000000
bootdelay=3
baudrate=115200
usbtty=cdc_acm
stderr=usbtty
stdout=usbtty
stdin=usbtty
bootargs_base=rootfstype=jffs2 root=/dev/mtdblock6
console=ttySAC2,115200 console=tty0 loglevel=8
mtdids=nor0=physmap-flash,nand0=neo1973-nand
pcb_rev=0x001
pcf50633_int1=0x88
pcf50633_int2=0x57
bootargs=rootfstype=jffs2 root=/dev/mtdblock6 console=ttySAC2,115200
console=tty0 loglevel=8

Environment size: 474/262140 bytes
GTA02v6 # version

U-Boot 1.3.2-rc2-dirty-moko12 (Apr  2 2008 - 09:31:05)
GTA02v6 #

Do I need to flash NAND/NOR?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance