Unnecessary rant - Was: Re: USB networking in Ubuntu

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Wed Aug 6 09:23:01 CEST 2008

Am Mi  6. August 2008 schrieb Olivier Berger:
> Joerg Reisenweber <joerg at openmoko.org> writes:
>

> > Maybe just adding the link by yourself would have been enough :-(
>
> Yay maybe.
>
> > My job is to fix your hw and create new one, not to supply links.
>
> Well... dunno what your employer tells you to do... but I consider
> good practice to provide explicit links to valid information for
> *customer support* interactions, rather than say "Mr smith told
> something in past 48 hours" when that mr smith posts tons of emails.
>
> At least, as a volunteer, I tend to provide explicit information (and
> complement with wiki editing) as much as I can... so I would expect so
> from professionals... but I guess you're overwhelmed by mail, so I
> know it's hard to take time to browse the web archives to retrieve a
> link and that adds extra burden compared to coding and such.
>
> But please, think about your customers.
>
> > C'mon encourage me to give such information in the future, when I come
along.
> > Best regards
> > jOERG
> >

> Thanks for the good job, and sorry for my pendantic tone.
>
> P.S.: been working for years in SW industry for customer service on
> application maintainance, been there, done that ;)

Just note I'm NOT customer support but hw-developer. I have a 10hours day to
fix HW!!!-bugs, and the mailing lists spam me with ~600mails per day which
I'm trying to read all of them. I really don't see any chance to care about
providing links that anybodyelse could find easily, just for your
convenience, while I might work same time another 5 min on what's I'm payed
for.

Ok, you convinced me to skip more mail unread, to think twice before answering
to any ml-posting,
and to save my time not to answer mail like this one from now on

congrats
cheers!!!
jOERG