Unnecessary rant - Was: Re: USB networking in Ubuntu

Richard Cooke richard.mallender at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 11:32:50 CEST 2008

It is a shame you have alienated the support staff on this list since I
suspect I am not on my own in having difficulty getting USB networking
between the freerunner and Ubuntu up and running.

I am something of a Linux noob and a complete openmoko beginner and perhaps
as such I was a little rash in taking this thing on. I am running Ubuntu
8.04 64 bit on an AMD64 box.

I have spent a couple of days trawling google trying to get this going and
late last week was successful enough to be able to upgrade my device. I
thought at the time that maybe I should never power down my box again, but
power it down I did.

The problem I now have is that I am unable to get usb0 recognized as an
interface by ifconfig.

The command:
ifconfig usb0 192.168.0.200

results in
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
usb0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

I have tried modprobing usbnet and cdc_ether but the problem remains.

Help from any quarter would be much appreciated as I am at my wits' end.

Thanks,

Richard