Alternate Keyboard(s) on 2008.8

Ole Kliemann ole-om-lists-2008 at mail.plastictree.net
Sat Aug 9 01:57:30 CEST 2008

There is only one possible solution. There must be easy customizable
keyboard files so that everybody is able to use the keyboard he likes.
Besides there must be an option to switch between different keyboards.
It's a simple idea: one tool for one job.

The predictive text with the right dictionary can be very powerful when
writing SMS. You don't really need to aim for the letters, just hit
somewhere close to them.

Still the Qtopia keyboard like it comes with Om2008.8 now is pretty
flawed lacking punctation signs. You have to switch two layouts further
to find a comma or period. Despite the fact that there is a lot of space
left on the alphabet keyboard.

And certainly for everything except SMS and maybe sometimes writing
notes the layout alone is a disaster; not to mention the predictive
text.

As I understand, there has been a long discussion about why not using
the illume keyboard. I have not completely followed that discussion and
I do not claim to have an understanding for the problems of development
that may be connected to this issue.

But I'd like to stress at this point that I believe the customizability
of input methods - i.e. the possibility of individually communicating
with the device - is a kind of freedom that many people are seeking with
the FR.

Ole