Screen doesn't dim in 2008.8 release

Nathan Kinkade nath at nkinka.de
Tue Aug 12 07:35:26 CEST 2008

2008/8/11 Steven ** <montgoss at gmail.com>:
> Maybe not the best route, but the settings app has this option.  To get it, do:
> opkg install illume-config
>
> This does other stuff (something with a keyboard toggle, I believe),
> but also adds a small wrench in the top left.  Clicking that will
> launch the config app.  The setting you want is under Power.
>
> -Steven

Ah, thanks.  I had actually already installed the illume-config
package yesterday to revert to the QWERTY keyboard.  Come to think of
it, I had noticed that little wrench icon, but hadn't tried to select
it.  Hmm.  Screen blanking now works, which is good, but there aren't
many reasonable options for suspending after blank.  Ideally I would
like something like this: blank screen after 15 seconds of inactivity,
suspend after, say, 5 minutes.

I think I now see why "xset -display :0 activate" suspended the
device.  "Suspend After Blank" was set to 1 Second, so the xset
command probably triggered the blank and then the "Suspend After
Blank" setting kicked in and suspended the Freerunner.

I played around with /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/expos/suspend.py
and was able to change the menu options behind the "Settings" desktop
application, but that didn't seem to affect the "Suspend After Blank"
options.

This is an improvement, though, and I can always manually suspend the
device with the Power button.

Anyone have an idea how to achieve something like 15 second blank
delay followed by suspend after 5 minutes of inactivity?

Thanks!

Nathan