Debian installation - mkfs.vfat not present

Max Kiva mkiva at
Thu Aug 14 09:10:57 CEST 2008

you need this

Note: if you do not have mkfs.vfat you must find and install the
"dosfstools" package. This package does not seem to be in the official
feeds, but an unofficial build may be downloaded from

----- Original Message ----
From: sparky mat <max at>
To: Support for Openmoko Device Owners <support at>
Sent: Thursday, 14 August, 2008 7:52:45 AM
Subject: Debian installation - mkfs.vfat not present

According to the 'Booting from SD' page on wiki, I have to do  a mkfs.vfat on the kernel partition. However, only mkfs.ext2 and mkfs.ext3 is available. I tried with ext2 last week and had the kernel repeatedly getting curropted. Is this because of it not being a vfat partition or does my using a SDHC card matter?