Testing WIFI and GPS hardware

Sebastian M. lists at seb7.de
Fri Aug 15 21:22:55 CEST 2008

Zitat von Chris Jenks <chris at jenks.us>:

>   Although it looks like it will be some time before all the hardware in
> the Freerunner becomes completely usable, I would at least like to be able
> to verify that the hardware I received works correctly. I have no idea if
> there is a time limit for having this unit repaired or replaced if it was
> defective when I received it.
>   I am pleased that the GSM worked right away for both sending and
> receiving calls. The two other main systems I would like to test are WIFI
> and GPS, but these didn't seem to work immediately.
>   Under both 2007.2 and 2008.8, when I issue the command "ifup eth0" I
> always get:
>
> root at om-gta02:~# ifup eth0
> udhcpc (v1.9.1) started
> run-parts: /etc/udhcpc.d/00avahi-autoipd exited with return code 1
> Sending discover...
> Sending discover...
> Sending discover...
> No lease, failing
>
> even though there is an unsecured WAP nearby, which gives a signal
> strength of 27/94 according to the "iwlist eth0 scan" command. Other
> people have reported that WIFI to unsecured WAPs worked out-of-the-box, so
> I wonder why mine doesn't.
>   Although I couldn't get WIFI to work under the "Locations" graphical
> application (which says "Searching for your location" and then "ERROR:
> Unable to locate a fix" when I turn on GPS), I haven't heard of much
> success from others either.
>   It would be nice if the wiki had some simple procedures for testing the
> Freerunner to verify that the hardware works as it should, so people know
> when to send their unit in for service or when to spend more time trying
> to get software working.
>
>   Yours,
>
>     Chris

Hi Chris,

I guess Arne was faster than me, but well... ;-)
Listen to his advice. If you still need Wiki links check those out:

There is a quite detailed GPS-Test already documented at the wiki, but
you need the right
search terms (took me a while to find it the first time ;-)
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Howto_Test_Your_GPS_with_agpsui

As for WiFi I recommend using wpa_supplicant to manage your WiFis
(Open, WEP and WPA):
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Wireless_Networking

Sebastian