Official Debian port with FSO

Aaron Sowry aaron at aeneby.com
Mon Aug 18 15:00:45 CEST 2008

> Well I have no SD-Reader so I try to do it by ssh with:
>
>  ssh root at 192.168.0.202 'cd ; tar czvf - *' | cat > debian_image.tar.gz
>
> I dunno if this works they way you want it but I'll upload it if it's ready and you can test it.

I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong, can't say I've used tar like
that before) that will give you a true image, i.e. including partition
tables and such. You could use 'dd' along the following lines in your
SSH command:

dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=debian_image.iso bs=512

The resulting ISO should compress down a reasonable amount (especially
if the Debian install doesn't consume all of the SD card, not sure how
much it takes up as I haven't tried it) for downloading over the
internet, the only problem is that you'd need to use an image taken from
the same sized card as the one you're flashing it to.

Aaron