[Script] Speeding up the debian booting with quiet-mode

Rorschach r0rschach at lavabit.com
Mon Aug 18 19:01:32 CEST 2008

Well like every linux also debian on our Freerunner boots __a lot__ faster (several seconds) in quiet mode. I modified Joachim Breitners configure-uboot script in such a way that debian boots by default in quiet-mode and additionally I added another boot-option in uboot to boot without quiet-mode for debugging purposes.

I added it to both wikis:
 * http://wiki.debian.org/DebianOnFreeRunner
 * http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Debian

The modified script can be found directly here: http://paste.ubuntuusers.de/391456/

TODO:
I will check as soon as I have time the rootdelay option. I think 5sec are too much and 1sec could be sufficient for us. But I don't know for sure and I also don't know if the time with rootdelay is a stopping time: so the kernel tries 5sec long to detect our rootdevice (our sd-card) and as soon as he finds it he goes on or if it's a starting time: the kernel does 5sec nothing and first after the 5sec he tries to boot.

I have the feeling it's the first possibilty which would mean the 5sec don't harm us in any way but I dunno for sure because I couldn't find a proper explaination of rootdelay. So I'll further investigate this.