Configuration lost during upgrade

nicklogan jnicholson at
Tue Aug 19 17:24:22 CEST 2008

During an update/upgrade cycle I may have accidentally answered "yes" to a
question about changing the default configuration files and can no longer
connect to any PC via usb. Attempts to do so get the following:

~$ sudo ifconfig usb0 netmask
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
usb0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device

No files in either PC I connected to previously have changed.

How can I restore the connection and/or the original configuration files?