USB Networking Without Iptables

freerunner at newkirk.us freerunner at newkirk.us
Wed Aug 20 06:53:24 CEST 2008

The iptables program is just an interface to the netfilter filtering and
routing code in the linux kernel.  If it's not there, then I presume some
other firewall system IS in place, you just need to ensure it permits the
traffic you want, IE traffic over usb0 or whatever device name is assigned,
and that it forwards (and NATs) that traffic if destined for elsewhere than
the desktop itself.

Note that you usually need root privileges to run iptables, on some distros
it's only in your $PATH as root, so be sure to try "/sbin/iptables -vnL" or
"sudo iptables -vnL" or even "sudo su -" followed by "iptables -vnL".  (on
RedHat, Mandriva, CentOS, it'd be "su -" [the '-' is critical, or it won't
use root's $PATH], since they deploy root with a password and don't
preconfigure sudo, while Ubuntu and related distros usually go the other
way)

I'm not familiar with what's being distributed on the EEE systems, but
Ubuntu and derivatives, which are rooted in Debian, use netfilter+iptables,
as do the Openmoko releases, Redhat/Mandriva/CentOS, and others - every
.deb, .ipk, and .rpm based system I've come across, in fact.  So if there's
no firewall preinstalled at all, maybe the solution is to 'apt-get
iptables' or similar and run from there.  (shipping a system with no
firewall borders on negligence IMHO, I suspect there's something there)