GNOME on Debian/Freerunner

sparky mat max at sparkymat.net
Thu Aug 21 08:21:23 CEST 2008

> That is just beautiful. I want. Please send me your notes and I'll turn
> into a wiki page (while I do it myself).
>
> Michael

I installed Official Debian using the script at
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianOnFreeRunner .

I proceeded to install aptitude (i prefer aptitude over apt-get).

Then an 'aptitude purge zhone-session' followed by 'aptitude install
gnome-desktop-environment gdm' (wasn't sure if gdm was required by
gnome-desktop-environment)

Then I created a user and modificed gdm.conf to auto-login.

Finally, I grabbed a properly-sized wallpaper as per instructions in
ManualDebian on the wiki  (pasting below)

wget http://rabenfrost.net/debian/debian-blueish-wallpaper-480x640.png -O
/usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-background