Freerunner issues

Dale Maggee antisol at
Thu Aug 21 17:16:34 CEST 2008

> 1. Disabling standby sounds like a good (but temporary) solution. BTW,
> how long does the battery last in such cases?

This is something I've been trying to figure out. It's highly dependant
on how many times the screen gets touched (and thus turns itself on for
a few seconds) in your pocket, which will depend on how much you move
around and how secure it is in your pocket. In my experience and from my
estimates, I would say you should get 3-4 hours, though I have
personally had it disconnected from power for about 5.5 hours in this
fashion (for most of that time it was in my jacket pocket hung over a
chair, thus not moving very much at all - fewer screen touches). Your
mileage *will* vary.

On this note, I'd love to come up with a way to disable the screen
powering back up until I push one of the buttons or something, to stop
the screen from turning on everytime I hit a bump on my motorbike.
Another solution would be some kind of flip down screen protector like
on my ipaq, which prevents the screen from being touched by keys /
inside of pocket / etc:

> 2. Also, is there a way to disable or enable 'ringtone'? I need the
> phone in silent mode most of the times during the day (so, right now
> the standby kind of helps :) ).
I don't believe so via the gui, but you could probably achieve this
through the use of the alsa states. i.e:

to create a "silent" state:
1. run alsamixer, and fiddle until you've muted the ringer volume
2. alsactl -f ~/silent.state store

then to put the phone in silent mode, use:
alsactl -f ~/silent.state restore

to put it back into normal nonsilent mode:
alsactl -f /usr/share/openmoko/scenarios/stereoout.state restore
> Not so important one: I hope to load the 2008.8 into the sd-card and
> have a dual boot configuration. Let me know if this is not possible,
take a look at:

I haven't tried it yet though...
> This solution is interesting:
> will give it a try, thanks!
> I hope it works with the official freerunner distro, i.e. 2007.2 also.
Yeah, I have this page bookmarked for me to try playing around with when
I have time, I'd be interested to know how it turns out.
> 5. Also, is there a wiki page or something where 'how tos' for
> tweaking of settings are mentioned? Like the standby idle-time,
> silent-mode, screen brightness, etc?
there are lots of wiki pages with lots of little tidbits scattered
through them... ;)

finding them seems to be a whole other matter, the search isn't great by
all accounts.
> 6. I have installed media player, debug tool, gps, calc, calendar, ...
> The phone's become slower - boot time is higher and application (eg.
> dialer) loading takes a lot of time. Is this normal? It sure was
> faster before I updated/installed those.
I haven't seen this, and I have a similar raft of apps installed, except
I've not seen any debug tool in the repos...?

Granted, it's not the fastest thing I've ever seen, but I don't think
it's much/any slower than it was when I got it.