resolvconf problems

Joel Newkirk freerunner at
Fri Aug 22 06:06:07 CEST 2008

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 13:17:42 +1000, "Matt Joyce" <matt.joyce at>
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 12:14 PM, abatrour <abatrour at> wrote:
>> I've always edited the usb portion of my "/etc/network/interfaces" to
> this
>> and its always worked.
>> As you can see it writes the IP to the resolv.conf automatically every
> time
>> at bootup.
>> # Ethernet/RNDIS gadget (g_ether)
>> # ... or on host side, usbnet and random hwaddr
>> auto usb0
>> iface usb0 inet static
>>        address
>>        netmask
>>        network
>>        gateway
>>        up echo nameserver >/etc/resolv.conf
>>        up echo nameserver >/etc/resolv.conf
>>        #up echo nameserver >/etc/resolv.conf
>> --

Just a comment: You're using a single > redirect, which overwrites the
file, so you're only ending up with one dns server in
resolv.conf.  The second line should use >> to tell it to append.

In support of local dns caching I've been digging through resolvconf and
resolv.conf related scripts.  One thing I noted is that
/etc/ppp/ip-up.d/08setupdns simply overwrites the existing resolv.conf,
rather than utilizing resolvconf, as does /etc/udhcpc.d/50default.  For my
purposes, it was simpler to circumvent resolvconf entirely, but if you want
it to work it needs to be invoked...

By default, it looks like only dhcp3/dhclient-enter-hooks.d/resolvconf is
actually configured to use resolvconf, and ANY network device that comes
online where resolvconf isn't used will break its intended behavior. (and
wpa_supplicant, at least, is using udhcpc, NOT dhclient3)