creating debain image/tar for download

Timo Juhani Lindfors timo.lindfors at iki.fi
Sat Aug 23 20:35:49 CEST 2008

"arne anka" <openmoko at ginguppin.de> writes:
> if someone has anything to say about that (especially the arguments for
> tar), speak now or forever hold your peace!

Well, now that you ask, I have my doubts on offering ready-made debian
images :-)

With the ASU images I witnessed how new users downloaded an image and
then hit a bug without any way to try to fix or debug it since they
had no idea on how to recompile the binaries with debugging symbols (I
personally spent days trying to build org.openmoko.asu.dev with
mokomakefile myself).

My fear is that with ready-made debian images the real installer might
get less testing and become something that only really advanced users
can use. I hope I am wrong here :-)