Illume config?

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Wed Aug 27 02:34:58 CEST 2008

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:27:32 +1000, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
<raster at openmoko.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 21:12:50 +0430 Armin ranjbar <zoup at zoup.org> babbled:
>
> yes - because that "spanner" was never meant to be accessible or exist.
it
> is
> sheer bi-product of the way asu was released that you could get it back
> through
> a theme change. so as such that illume-config theme is really a bug - or
> exposes a bug that was hidden.
>
> you can argue that "but that config gives me all sorts of useful stuff"
> etc.
> but that is not what om wanted - they explicitly did NOT want that config
> tool.
> (it's actually just part of e/illume - an internal dialog window).
>
> you can switch to the illume profile (the default profile changed to asu
-
> see /etc/enlightenment/default_profile) and you'll get it back.

It seems clear to me that someone in authority at Openmoko is trying to
make a smartphone, without regard to the fact that probably 95% of sales to
date are to developers who want to help MAKE that smartphone plus
potentially much more, but have requirements which that authority is
ignoring. (IE, they want pocket computer functionality, ready access to
extensive configuration options, and - oh yeah, a usable keyboard that
doesn't vanish at random)

This falls under the heading "how to kill a great product".

I predict that if Openmoko fails, it will be due to abandonment by
thousands of developers frustrated with narrowminded corporate decisions
imposing intolerable limits.  WTF - is their concept of 'Open' one where if
we don't like their impositions that we should flash to Debian and abandon
any development efforts for the 'official' distro??  If they don't want the
developer community, I'm sure it will go away with just a little more
effort.