Installing applications in FSO

Rod Whitby rod at whitby.id.au
Thu Aug 28 01:11:15 CEST 2008

digger vermont wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 18:31 +0200, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
>> Am Mittwoch 27 August 2008 18:16:53 schrieb sparky mat:
>>> Is it possible to install applications to FSO? (trying FSO for the first
>>> time)
>> Sure. To make the .desktop files appear you need to set the category = Office
>> or change some xdg configuration file which I don't know offhand.
>>
> In the same vein.  I've been tracking
> http://shr.bearstech.com/fso-testing/
>
> If I add opkg.conf files for
> http://downloads.openmoko.org/repository/testing/
>
> and do an opkg upgrade will fso get muddled up?  Should I add some "arch
> feed-name priority" lines?

Never mix feeds.  Period.

Ask someone with OE commit privs to add whatever applications you want
in the fso-testing feeds to simply add that application's name to
task-openmoko-feed.bb and it will be automatically built.

If you need a specific application ipk from a different feed, then
download the ipk and install it manually, using your judgement to
determine whether it's dependencies are going to screw your system up.
Take a full backup of your rootfs first.

-- Rod