WiFi + software updates/installs = weird?

Dmitry Makovey dmakovey at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 30 00:10:24 CEST 2008

Hi,

I've got my FreeRunner just 2 days ago so my question
might be an FAQ, however I failed to find an answer so
far.

with 2008.8 image loaded I've followed networking
guides and was able to get to console via USB/SSH. Now
I did configure WiFi, and I was able to ping external
sites (mind you there was a high packet drop ratio and
speed was kind of not impressive). However getting
into software updating screen I get messages "Can't
connect to repo" etc.

Is gui stuff just broken and I should use command line
tools?

Any pointers to existing docs explaining bit more on
subject are appreciated.