Sad Story

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Tue Dec 2 06:58:52 CET 2008

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 11:40:08 -0600, Rene Horn <the.rhorn at gmail.com> wrote:
> So sorry to hear that.  [?]
>
> I would be pretty upset too if that happened to me.
>
> As far as anti-theft protection goes, has anyone heard of Adeona <
> http://adeona.cs.washington.edu/index.html>?  That might be the way to
go.

> Rene

I was thinking along similar lines, utilizing my own server (which lives at
a static IP) - but Adeona looks like a good starting point for a more
widely useful solution.  Their software needs additions to support GPS.
IMHO that would benefit laptops as well - particularly if it could
automatically look for bluetooth GPS and try to query position. (you never
know - for that matter, log every bluetooth device it can see - some of
which will be thieves cellphones)  Another beneficial addition to both our
purpose and laptops would be audio-recorder option.  For Mac and Linux
their software supports pulling images from a built-in webcam but no
mention of audio.  I'm thinking in terms of turning on the mic and feeding
it over GPRS as a speex-encoded stream, accompanied by packets of data
containing GPS/CellTower/Wifi data, obviously on-demand rather than
always...