Sad Story

Karthik Kumar karthikkumar at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 07:28:09 CET 2008

Although I do agree with you that I'm whining, I ask you can to a look
at your own statements: 'Though not yet truly fixed', 'Usually', 'though
it's not tackled'

Let me say what I wanted to say: A phone would, should, must, work
reliably every time. If there is a 'slight' chance of error, it would
prove a liability. For example: Let us say that you were kidnapped by
someone, and you wanted to make a 911 call, and the ALSA volume screwed
up, or the GSM screwed up, then you wouldn't be looking forward to 'hack
a fix' that night, would you? I hope and pray 'karma' doesn't take a
toll on Openmoko devels.

Yeah, If I were going to file it a ticket, it would be this: 'Make
Openmoko work all the time, in all these scenarios'. I'm sure my ticket
would be dismissed as being too 'general', but it represents a hole that
all of us (as in Openmoko owners) feel. Forget my ticket, I check the
Trac every week. I haven't even seen the Om2008.10 release out there
yet, not all of it's issues are closed. Instead of blaming me for not
filing a ticket, blame yourself for not closing all  those other tickets
yet.

@Joel: See, when Openmoko's marketing department sells this phone as
'Free your phone', I'm sure they are referring to a 'phone' not a
'unstable but hackable computer'. If, there was a lawyer willing to take
up these causes and whine on the owners' behalf, it would land Openmoko
in class-action trouble, causing millions in litigation. Oh, there are
lawyers who take up more frivolous lawsuits, and you know they win.
Please refrain from saying that 'you got exactly what you paid for', or
'you weren't promised a thing'.

See, Openmoko devels may not have themselves been responsible for this
false marketing. But Openmoko as an organization includes everyone
concerned (the devels). As a person representing Openmoko Inc, you
should be responsible to your stakeholders. Including your customers.

See, if everything you have made until now were fixed immediately, the
community would benefit. And I speak for 1973 owners as well.

You should have fixed the GTA02 months back, when you released it.
Instead, you people are working on GTA03/Neo Whatever. It proves that
you don't care about the community, You just care about the bunch of
people who might want to buy your upcoming phones, who sponsor your own
selfish causes and suffer while you are working on GTA04.

I'm sick and tired of reflashing my phone every time, reconfiguring it
every time, hoping it would 'all' work at one point of time. Why don't
you do something about this instead?