Sad Story

Paul paultsai at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 18:53:30 CET 2008

My experience, as I'm sure with many other people, with my freerunner
has been frustrating most of the time.  To say, its all on the user is
wrong.  Granted the community could be better, however, its hard to
contribute when everything is so fragmented.

For instance, about the echo problem, one of the developers for
OpenMoko stated "Since there are different hw versions out there (a5,
a6, a7), it's impossible to provide one alsa state file that suits all
models."  Wait a sec.  If the developers know the issues, What's
preventing the if statement that would prevent hundreds of hours of
tweaking, testing, and frustration for the community?

Let's be honest here FIC is making a pretty penny off of OpenMoko,
using very old hardware selling at a premium price (2.5g not even
EDGE).  Yet we are OK with that.  What the community DOES expect is
basic support, for starters a phone that makes calls without echoing,
doesn't drop connection and sends and receives text messages reliably
as the Number 1 priority.  If I'm not mistaken, the majority of the
working code in OpenMoko is from Trolltech.  In addition FSO has a
very nice distro and the Freerunner isn't even its main device.  Yet
more than 1 year AFTER the release of the 1974, we still have MAJOR
issues from a basic install of Om.  Then we read stuff like this.

"OM is moving more focus to gta03 now, so my current resource for
qtopia is fairly limited."

It becomes evident that FIC and Openmoko cares less about creating
reliably working software then it does about moving products.  (not
blaming the developers here, they get pressure) Follow the next link
and I think I've made my case.

http://www.cafepress.com/openmoko_inc

Now with that said, I will be posting online my howtos including
scripts to make a kinda stable variant of FDOM soon.  Been too busy
reflashing my phone.

--
Paul
Email - paultsai at gmail.com

There were moments when he looked on evil simply as a mode through
which he could realize his conception of the beautiful.
Oscar Wilde - The Picture of Dorian Gray