Sad Story

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Fri Dec 12 22:24:33 CET 2008

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 15:47:40 -0500, Paul <paultsai at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 2:10 PM, Andy Green <andy at openmoko.com> wrote:
>> though so I think it's probably down to you to move a slider the once
>> until you are happy, awful imposition as that is.
>
> If there is a slider, you should have told me.  I thought it was a
> process of sshing into the device guessing the volume to use in
> gsmhandset.state file, restarting x, calling a couple of your pals
> repeating the mantra of "Can you hear you now?"  and repeat.

:)

> On a personal note, I am hard of hearing so turning the volume down
> does resolve the echo issue, but in a noisy background situation (like
> walking down the street) the phone is pretty useless.

I have to agree with this one - I find the volume level to be barely
acceptable in-call, though I know it can go higher.  I refuse to use a
wired handsfree, and the dog ate my bluetooth (seriously) so handset is it.
 To be "fair" however, I've been running SHR for some time, which bases
phone support on frameworkd from FSO, so this isn't a commentary on OM in
my case.  (and insofar as 'solving problems' I've been familiarizing myself
with libframeworkd-phonegui-efl with one of my goals being adding a volume
slider to the SHR in-call controls)

>> What's evident to me is there is a danger of so enjoying and wanting to
>> prolong the "victim" status that opportunities to solve problems and
>> move things forward are actively ignored.
>
> Let's separate the victim status from pointing out weaknesses of this
> system.  If someone says, hey, the stable 2008.8 repositories are
> broken, does it mean that the communities is whining?

Not at all, IMHO.  But if you take that 'notice' of a repository being down
and run it through the hyperbole amplifier and mix in a little 'woe is me'
you get "openmoko.com is down, it's always down, nothing works, I was so
cheated, I need a lawyer".  THAT, IMHO, is whining.

Joel Newkirk
http://jthinks.com      (blog)
http://newkirk.us/om (FR stuff)