Still can't register GSM

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sat Dec 13 00:55:54 CET 2008

1. flash moko10 as recommended below - fixes problems with some
incompatible SIMs.  On my Vodafone 128K, made a huge difference to the
PIN dialog popping up - not 100% fixed, but made a difference between 1
in 10, to 1 in 2.

2. try logging in and run "logread" - if you see "ATCHAT: ATF modem
ready" (something like that anyway) continually being repeated.  Restart
X (/etc/init.d/xserver-nodm reboot) - give it up to 10 goes or so (then
try 3 below).  On my phone (even with moko10) it appears to be
unresponsive to the first reset/commands and just starts repeating the
above message to the log.  Restarting X gets it to try again.  It doesnt
do it if you leave it to its own devices.

3.  Shut down, remove battery for a few seconds.  Replace battery,
reboot, go to 2 above if neccesary.

4. Remove any SD card (esp if over 4gb) and retry.

5. Use another phone and set a PIN on the SIM if not set and try again
(at least one software version wouldnt work if PIN wasnt set :(

6. Reboot, wait for a few minutes (5?) where nothing is happening and
run "logread > logread-<current-date>.txt" and post
logread-<current-date>.txt here for comment.

7. Try 2008.testing in combination with moko10

8. file a bug - I would think it most unlikely its a hardware problem
(other than the known one of incompatible SIMs) - its probably down to
the software.

BillK

Home in Perth!