Sad Story

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 17:40:57 CET 2008

2008/12/13 Bobby Martin <bobbymartin2 at gmail.com>:
> As much as I hate to chime in on such a busy and unproductive thread...

Yeah, the same here.

> That's my whole reason for posting - to thank Andy, Harald, etc. etc. in the
> OM group, Lorn, etc. of Trolltech, mwester, Julien, quickdev, MarcOChapeau,
> etc. of the community.

+1. And the recent work with kernel 2.6.28 with regards to putting
development back to upstream and co-working seems fabulous.

I do think the communication and the social aspects of Openmoko
community should still be improved, and are partially responsible for
the portion of owners feeling frustrated (though there is always some
percentage in even a perfect community), but such stuff is almost
impossible to discuss in this thread. Managing hardware and software
is hard, but so is managing people. Actually, everything Openmoko does
is very far from easy, but that's the way it has always been for
pioneers :)

2008/12/13 Karthik Kumar <karthikkumar at gmail.com>:
> The kernel fix for GPS is a mere quirk. Ideally it should get fixed in
> hardware.

Like mentioned, you're totally misinformed. The GPS is perfectly fine
with the current sw fix, and it's not a quirk.

I can imagine how some people might even mix the problems with fix
time etc. with hw problems of GPS - it's just that AGPS is not set up
out of the box, and neither is GPS state information
storage/retrieval. Hardware-wise everything is anyway ok, and I use
AGPS to get good fixes in 10-20s from turning the GPS on.

-Timo