Sad Story

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Dec 15 21:43:58 CET 2008

> So, this kernel fix is a feature, according to Al Johnson? Then why do
> they need a hardware fix? Unless I am missing something, this software
> fix seems to be a lie.  Or the hardware fix seems to be bogus anyway.
> I have one of the earlier freerunners released, so I'm sure Openmoko
> owes an explanation.

I do not know.  I simply know that the FR I got a few months ago has
a fully functional GPS: works just as well as any other GPS around.
Also, for those people who had an earlier FR, there is a software
workaround that apparently makes it work almost as good as well.

I'm not sure what more do you expect.  To recapitulate, you said:
> There are still hardware problems that exist with almost every
> freerunner out there (GPS signal levels, for one).  I would like to
> see them fixed by Openmoko, Inc.

AFAIK, the problems of GPS signal level only affect a fairly small
proportion of the FRs out there, and they have been fixed by Openmoko.

There are plenty of real problems left, that I don't see why we should
bring this GPS problem back from the dead.  Of the real problems:
- unreliable suspend (supposedly fixed in upcoming kernels)
- echo (there's supposedly a software workaround, but it basically puts
  the phone in a sort of half-duplex mode, so it's not perfect).
- buzz.
- constant re-registration (here as well, there's a software
  workaround, which apparently causes a minor reduction in autonomy, tho
  it's not clear yet how minor: it depends on how well suspend works for you).
- the audio line-out is unusable to listen to music because of a poorly
  chosen capacitor that cuts off low-frequencies.
- the wifi antenna apparently stays on even while you suspend,
  reducing autonomy.
- wifi with WPA has trouble switching to some other networks
  (apparently someone is working on this or may even have found the bug
  already).
- ...

        Stefan