FSO & Android (was: Sad Story)

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at openmoko.com
Tue Dec 16 07:48:33 CET 2008

Paul,

> create a working phone.  Passing the buck to FSO is passing the torch
> to someone else.  This is what OM has done.

We are funding FSO. This is called teamwork :-)
FSO concentrates on the framework, and standardizing interfaces for
mobile phones. FSO = freesmartphone.org
Openmoko concentrates engineering on the lower level (kernel &
drivers), as well as on the top-most level (UI design).
All of this is made possible by our community buying our phones and
helping with development everywhere.

> I'm sure the majority of hardware owners are awaiting Google Android.

The cool thing about Free Software is it's configurability and
modularity.
Try to build a product with half of Android. Won't work. Half of
Debian, let alone any image generated with OpenEmbedded? No problem.

Best Regards,
Wolfgang