A little lost

CQIT Consulting CQ5ITC at shaw.ca
Wed Dec 31 03:50:27 CET 2008

See below:

----- Original Message -----
From: Marc Rios <marcrios84 at gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 10:38 am
Subject: Re: A little lost
To: Support for Openmoko Device Owners <support at lists.openmoko.org>

> Thanks for the anser CQ5ITC ;)
>
> Now I see it :S
>
> The Operating system by default in 2008.12 isn't qtopia?? What
> is qtopia in
> that case?

You can load a different distribution of the OS (Operating System) for the FR from
Qtopia. In my opinion the Qtopia front-end is more sophisticated and appealing but it is not as "open" as the ASU or OM2008.12. (More difficult to develop stuff there? not sure).
My understanding is that some parts of the OM2008 software is from Qtopia (I think tha the dialler interface is an example). I have the Qtopia distribution on my 8GB sd card and OM2008.12 on the phone itself. This allows me to always have a way to use the phone just in case I load some software that breaks the stability either one of the two distributions. You can boot from the SD card.

> I have illume profile because in asu profile I don't like the
> keyboard so
> with ilume I can change it and its better. I had read that in
> the settings
> should be an item named 'Wireless' o 'Wifi' but I don't see it,
> is it
> something I have don't wrong?
I seem to remember that the Wifi option in the Settings has been removed
as it was not working well. I think that the alternative is to load somthing like
Mofi or other wireless software from the om2008 distribution.... I haven't had the time
to solve that myself either.

Regarding the Illume profile you are in better shape than me as I can't get it
to show on my FR. By the way, I would really appreciate help on this subject myself
as I have tried to get the illume to show up to no avail.