DNS not working

Abel Chang changzer at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 04:15:53 CEST 2008

just to be sure.. because i was having the same problem.
my freerunner just wouldnt connect to my computer...

and without this step, "opkg update" on the phone will not work as well,
right?

by the way, i'm using ubuntu, with vmware fusion from mac OS X 10.5.4

thanks

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 9:16 PM, Steven ** <
montgoss+openmokodevice at gmail.com <montgoss%2Bopenmokodevice at gmail.com>>
wrote:

> No.  I did not.  I was adding it as you responded though.  And that
> was the issue.
>
> I'll be editing the wiki right now to make it a little more obvious
> that this step is necessary.  I skipped right over that section...
>
> -Steven
>
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 7:07 PM, ian douglas <ian.douglas at iandouglas.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi Steven,
> >
> > Do you have the iptables code set up on your PC as well? It will need to
> > be able to do packet forwarding to/from the Freerunner.
> >
> > On your local PC, if you're using Ubuntu, your /etc/network/interfaces
> > would look something like this:
> >
> > auto usb0
> > iface usb0 inet static
> >   address 192.168.0.200
> >   netmask 255.255.255.0
> >   network 192.168.0.0
> >   up iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE -s 192.168.0.0/24 &
> >   up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward &
> >   up iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT &
> >   down iptables -D POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE -s 192.168.0.0/24 &
> >
> > I use that set up myself on my laptop (as well as the
> > /etc/network/interfaces code that goes on the Freerunner itself) and my
> > Freerunner connects to the Internet just fine.
> >
> > -id
> >

> > Steven ** wrote:
> >> I've edited /etc/network/interfaces per the instructions on the
> >> Getting Started page, but no luck.  I can't get any domain names to
> >> resolve.  I also tried my ISP's DNS servers instead of OpenDNS's.  No
> >> difference.  I restarted after the change to make sure it was using
> >> the new DNS server (and I can see it is when I do a nslookup).
> >>
> >> What am I missing?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Steven

Best regards,

Abel Chang - 張東龍
Graphic & Product Designer
http://coroflot.com/changzer
---

NOTICE: The information contained in this e-mail is confidential or may
otherwise be legally privileged. It is intended for the named recipient
only. If you have received it in error, please notify us immediately by
reply or by calling the telephone number above and delete this message and
all its attachments. Please note that any unauthorized review, copying,
disclosing or otherwise making use of the information is strictly
prohibited. Thank you.