not charging...

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Wed Jul 16 07:43:36 CEST 2008

lapubell wrote:
> i don't know what the problem is, but my freerunner is not charging via usb.
> I got it today, and i'm wondering if it is DOA?  the phone first showed a
> charging icon in the top right when plugged in, but now it will not change
> off of the battery icon, which is slowly depleating...

(1) DON'T LET YOUR BATTERY GET TOO DISCHARGED! or you won't be able to
power up the phone

A quick test to see if the USB power circuitry is working: power up your
phone, connect the charger, remove the battery. A good phone will remain
powered up, powered only by the USB circuit.

Test this with both the provided USB power supply and with the USB cable
plugged into a POWERED USB port on a computer. Perhaps the charger is
DOA or perhaps the cable is damaged.

If you're using a laptop, I've heard that not all USB ports on laptops
are powered, to conserve power.

Let us know what you find.

Michael