Battery use and maintenance

C R McClenaghan chris at mcclenaghan.com
Wed Jul 16 18:33:25 CEST 2008

I would like some information about recommendations on how to use and
maintain the Freerunner's battery.

I did not find anything explicit on the wiki. The following link is a
good general resource that you may find useful:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

in particular, this section:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-21.htm.

My particular concern is the dual purpose of the usb cable as power
and network. The recommendation seems to be to _not_ trickle charge
once the battery is fully charged to provide better battery life.
Doing development with the usb cable attached seems to put the device
usage against this recommendation. What is OpenMoko's recommendation?
Is there a way to automatically or manually stop/start/restart
charging to avoid this situation and thus extend battery life? Is
there a better way to manage the battery maintenance? Are there other
usage areas for which advice exists (for example, the well documented
"don't fully discharge")?

Thanks,

Chris