European SIM card does not work in Neo Freerunner

Felix Mahnke fspmc at web.de
Sun Jul 20 18:59:33 CEST 2008

Hi Community,

my (german) contracted Vodafone SIM card does not work with the Neo
Freerunner.

Neither asks the phone for the PIN nor does it register with the providers
network.

The same card works fine with other phones.

Here is what I tried so far.

- Checked that SIM card was inserted properly
- killed the gsmd
- powering up the modem
- logged in /dev/ttySAC0 with minicom
- sending some AT commands (getting ERROR: SIM card not inserted)

I checked with some other cards. One is the same problem, another asks for
the PIN but doesn't register with network too.

Any suggestions that could help me on that one are appreciated.

I'm using the Image the Freerunner was delivered with. I think it's 2007.2
or something like that.

Thank you in advance.