Charging nokia batteries with the freerunner

Russell Sears sears at cs.berkeley.edu
Sun Jul 20 22:47:44 CEST 2008

Is it OK to charge nokia BL-5C batteries with the freerunner?

They're  lithium ion, 3.7 volt, with approximately the same form factor
as the FIC one that came with my freerunner.  The Nokia is slightly
thinner, but snaps into place nicely.

I had a completely dead FIC battery, and just used the nokia one to jump
start my phone.  (I put the nokia one in with the Freerunner attached to
the charger, started the phone, and waited for the openmoko logo to
appear.  Then I quickly swapped batteries so I could charge my dead FIC
battery.)

Will I run into nasty problems if I charge the Nokia battery with the
Freerunner?  I'm worried it will overcharge the battery and/or be a fire
hazard.  I've heard that nokia chargers that charge 5-BL(?) type
batteries can charge the FIC freerunner battery.

Thanks!

-Rusty