dfu-util upload problems

Kevin Squire kevin.squire at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 02:50:06 CEST 2008

> Hi,
>
> I have a little problem with dfu-util and my new Freerunner.
>
> I thought I'd make a backup of my Neo's filesystem before flashing new
> images onto it, so I tried to use dfu-util in upload mode to transfer
> the content of the Neo's flash to my desktop PC. Backing up the kernel
> partition works, but when I back up the rootfs partition dfu-util
> transfers about 247MB and then dies with "dfu_upload error -84", while
> the phone immediately reboots. It always dies at the same position, but
> I'm not sure whether the backup is complete or not.

Just wanted to say that I'm having the same problem (and same
questions): I was able to upload 258076672 bytes (=246 Mb), but then
dfu-util dies with "dfu_upload error -16", and the FreeRunner reboots.
This is on Mac OS X.

> Further details: I've tried it on my desktop and on my laptop PC, with
> Ubuntu 7.10, Ubuntu 8.04 and a grml live-cd, with various dfu-util
> binaries and one built from SVN, but the error appeared every time. The
> phone was hooked up directly to the host (no hub or something), U-Boot
> version on the phone is the originally installed 1.3.2-moko12 from May
> 9.
>
> Any ideas what's wrong?

At least one other person (you?) has indicated a similar problem at
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Pre-Flash_Backup.  Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks,

   Kevin