Linking Freerunner with OpenSuse 10.3 (64-bit)

Matt Luzum mluzum at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 06:43:07 CEST 2008

casaubon wrote:
> Is there a step-by-step procedure for this yet? For example, in what context
> are those "iptables" commands to be executed in (the Ubuntu instructions are
> not clear)? I am very interested. If you have something definite (even if
> only a temporary fix), then could you post it, please? If you can put
> something like that together, then I will do the work of posting it to the
> wiki.

Well I can tell you the steps that worked for me, but I don't really
feel like I know what I'm doing so I wasn't comfortable adding anything
to the wiki.  Feel free to do it yourself, though.

I don't know exactly what those three lines do, but if I execute each of
them as root in a terminal, the FreeRunner can access the internet.  In
fact, I made a shell script that I run every time I plug in my
FreeRunner.  Everything works for me if I just run the following script,
as root, on the host computer running openSUSE 11.0.

#/bin/bash
ifconfig usb0 192.168.0.200 netmask 255.255.255.0
route add -host 192.168.0.202/32 dev usb0
iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE -s 192.168.0.0/24 &
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward &
iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT &

I actually omit the "ifconfig" line because I set it up in yast like I
described in an earlier e-mail.  I strongly suspect if you knew what you
were doing, you could set up yast (or perhaps the firewall?) so that all
of this is automatic, but I haven't had time to figure out how.  Right
now I have to run those commands every time I plug it in.

I should also mention that you probably don't need the "route" line, but
my router at home uses 192.168.0.x addresses, so I need to run that
command so openSUSE knows how to find the FreeRunner.

Also, I have to change /etc/network/interfaces on the FreeRunner itself
to get DNS working, but that's covered on the wiki and isn't OS dependent.

Are there really no people on this mailing list who use SUSE and know
more about this than me?

Matt