Qtopia

Jim Morris ml at e4net.com
Mon Jul 21 09:56:44 CEST 2008

Jeffrey Ratcliffe wrote:
> 2008/7/21 Jim Morris <ml at e4net.com>:
>>> I just flashed Qtopia (Because my up-to-date 2007.2 wouldn't start x anymore, lost sound etc etc).
>
> Is there a downside to Qtopia over 2007.2?

It seems a tad more stable to me, but I spent a lot of time on 2007.2, just to have to blow it away
when it finally updated itself into oblivion :( I couldn't even backup the image due to problems
with the upload feature from dfu-util (see other postings on that).

I haven't spent much time with qtopia yet. I haven't tried the phone stuff on it yet either.

I think this is really a matter of personal taste, some people will prefer the 2007.2 UI and some
Qtopia. I got very frustrated with 2007.2 I found it unintuitive, and the lack of a keyboard I could
see was annoying.

It is a great testament to Openmoko for building a device where you can try 3 or 4 different
platforms, and choose the one you like!

Of course ASU is meant to offer the best of both worlds, but it is way too unstable for my liking at
the moment, but I'll be keeping a close eye on it.

One thing I did like about 2007.2 was the ability to upgrade via opkg, even though it did eventually
bite me in the butt. Not sure if Qtopia has the same ease of upgrading without flashing.

Right now I have to go back into /etc/... and add all the customizations and fixes I had before so
everything works again.

YMMV

--
Jim Morris, http://blog.wolfman.com