Linking Freerunner with OpenSuse 10.3 (64-bit)

Matt Luzum mluzum at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 00:12:56 CEST 2008

I'm not sure what the problem could be.  I've confirmed that those steps
are all I need to do on my host computer to get everything working.
Also, as far as I recall, the only thing I had to do on the FreeRunner
was give it a different nameserver.  For reference, the appropriate part
of /etc/network/interfaces on my FreeRunner reads:

auto usb0
iface usb0 inet static
         address 192.168.0.202
         netmask 255.255.255.0
         network 192.168.0.0
         gateway 192.168.0.200
         up echo nameserver xxx.xx.xxx.x > /etc/resolv.conf
         up echo nameserver xxx.xx.xxx.x >> /etc/resolve.conf

with the x's replaced by the IP's that I found at /etc/resolv.conf on
the host computer.

Even without a correct nameserver, though, I would think you should
still be able to access the internet, e.g.

ping 209.85.171.104

> Do you know what the "route" command on the Freerunner should
> look like? That might give a clue about the status of the phone's
> connectivity.

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but here's what I get when I
type "route" on a terminal on the FreeRunner:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 usb0
169.254.0.0     *               255.255.0.0     U     0      0        0 eth0
default         192.168.0.200   0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 usb0

Matt