Getting rid of pulseaudio? [was Re: Cannot play MP3 or OGG as ringtone on GTA02]

Russell Sears sears at cs.berkeley.edu
Tue Jul 22 03:19:24 CEST 2008

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> pulseaudio only features WAV files. In FSO we are using GStreamer to create
> all kinds of tones.

I've heard FSO got rid of pulseaudio.  Is that true?  Any problems?
Flamewars I should read? :)

I ask, since I'm working on improving mediaplayer's performance.  Having
it talk directly to ALSA halved CPU usage (I think this is due to a
misconfiguration...), and didn't seem to break multiple simultaneous
apps talking to the sound card.

Anyway, if pulseaudio is going away, I don't want to spend time
debugging it...

Also, is GStreamer definitely in the future?  I'm looking into
fixed-point graphic equalizers; gstreamer seems to be a good place to
add one.

The choices for adding new audio processing code seem to be adding a
plugin to gstreamer, alsa or pulseaudio.

-Rusty