Factory-fresh phone and dropbear

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Wed Jul 23 05:46:03 CEST 2008

On 22 Jul 2008, at 22:43, Olivier Migeot wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 10:59 PM, Steven ** <montgoss at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> The factory image has this little chicken/egg problem where you can't
>> do a global "opkg upgrade" from the terminal on the Neo because it
>> restarts X (which kills the upgrade process) and you can't "opkg
>> upgrade" over ssh because dropbear gets upgraded and closes your ssh
>> connection (which kills the upgrade process).
>
> Why not use screen, then?

No reason. It works fine. It's my preferred method.

You will see the connection dropped just after opkg shows status
messages about updating dropbear. You can then ssh back in & `screen -
Rd` and you'll see that the update is continuing.

I considered updating the wiki Quickstart page to reflect this
option, but I decided that doing so would reduce conciseness. There's
no need for a zillion different ways of doing things if one simple
way works. If you disagree with this decision then please reply this
message to documentation at lists.openmoko.org
I would prefer we can discuss this there, rather than simply adding
it to the wiki yourself.

Stroller.