SSH into Freerunner

ian douglas ian.douglas at iandouglas.com
Wed Jul 23 20:37:31 CEST 2008

Abel Chang wrote:
> i was able to ssh my freerunner, and i also followed those instructions
> on the USB Networking section.
>
> the one part i didnt figure out how to do, was to edit /etc/resolv.conf
> on the Freerunner.

Once you've SSH'd into the Freerunner, you can directly edit
/etc/resolv.conf with vi.

Alternately, if you alter /etc/network/interfaces on the Freerunner per
the wiki instructions, you can modify the file in such a way that it
write the /etc/resolv.conf file for you with an external DNS server.

Hint: look for a line that looks like:

   up echo nameserver 192.168.0.200 > /etc/resolv.conf

and change it to something like this:

   up echo nameserver 208.67.222.222 > /etc/resolv.conf

After that, exit your SSH connection, reboot your Freerunner so it
clears the USB networking stack, then the next time you plug your
Freerunner into your PC via USB it should use the new public DNS server.
The 208.67.222.222 address above is from opendns.com, a public DNS server.

-id