Does it make sense to have the kernel use a swap partition?

Jim Colton jimcolt at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 18:48:13 CEST 2008

Thank you for writing Andy.

I see about 12M of 128M left while only Terminal-2 and the Dialer are
running.
I think a common configuration is to allot twice the amount of real memory
as swap.  That way one can notice/see the degradation and swap being used
and still have room to do something (because of the available swap)  before
the system bogs down to unusable whereas with no swap the system would
become locked up quick.

Does that seem sensible to you?