Bricked Freerunner

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Sat Jul 26 02:00:24 CEST 2008

Am Sa  26. Juli 2008 schrieb MR BROWN:
> I just learned that I may have a damaged or totally discharged battery.
You may have, when trying to charge without a Neo FR that's booting correctly.
Doing so DIScharges battery!!!

> I've been having severe problems with my new freerunner after a failed
> kernel flash.  The phone said that there was not enough room in the
> partition.
check the -a parameter of dfu util cmd line. It has to match your actual file
you're trying to flash.
Also make sure you got the right file, i.e don't mix with *.tar.gz, those are
not for dfu!

> I'm trying a new battery and it is charging now.  It must charge for the
> first time un-touched for 12 hours.
As mentioned above, this is with correctly booting FR.
DON'T DO THIS when you messed up your FR boot! It will drain your bat.
Fix boot first, then recharge battery.
Charging bat for 12h is a recommendation, not mandatory. Not draining bat to
death IS mandatory.

> Is it possible to Brick a new Freerunner or is there a safe boot image some
where in the phone?
There's NOR u-boot, which will allow to flash a new NAND u-boot + rootfs
("boot image") any time. You shouldn't be able to break NOR u-boot.

cheers
jOERG