neod and pusleaudio -- evil tandem? ;-)

Yaroslav Halchenko site-openmoko.org at onerussian.com
Sat Jul 26 04:05:12 CEST 2008

> I'm trying to improve mediaplayer, and a big part of that is improving
> performance.  If you figure out why pulseaudio eats 6% CPU, that'd be
> great!  Also, it mysteriously eats much more than that when music is
> being played back.
well -- whenever it is playing my wild guess is that it resamples it
from 44100 to hardware supported 48000, or smth like that... for that I
guess it would need some cpu cycles

the mystery in my case is that pulseaudio doesn't play anything but does
consume significant amount of cpu cycles

> My theory is that it's doing unnecessary signal resampling and
> int->float->int conversions.  Having mediaplayer bypass pulseaudio and
> talk directly to alsa saves a lot of CPU.
ie it works like that for sure (ie have you tried it)?

--
Yaroslav Halchenko
Research Assistant, Psychology Department, Rutgers-Newark