Pre-Flash backup of rootfs failure (new kind)

Cesar Eduardo Barros cesarb at
Mon Jul 28 10:41:38 CEST 2008

Yaroslav Halchenko escreveu:
> trying to do the same with fresh u-boot
> Product: Neo1973 Bootloader U-Boot
> 1.3.2+gitr6+ba029a1426bfca169572bf80d50a8b190a6b0e19
> but seems to be getting the same -- now we are at 100M and trailing part
> is just 0xFF (which shouldn't happen on a file system with compression
> which I guess is enabled on jffs2 we are using, right?)

On NAND, erased blocks are filled with all ones (0xFF bytes). What you
are seeing is just empty space (parts of the flash either not written to
yet or already erased). The file size with the backup method you are
using will always be the same size as the flash partition, the empty
parts filled with all ones.

Cesar Eduardo Barros
cesarb at
cesar.barros at