Pre-Flash backup of rootfs failure (new kind)

Cesar Eduardo Barros cesarb at cesarb.net
Tue Jul 29 01:31:18 CEST 2008

Yaroslav Halchenko escreveu:
> doh... for some reason I had 128M in mind for the size of NAND flash....
> thus didn't wait sufficiently long to get all 256M of 0xFFs ;-)
>
> now I finished downloading it and it ended with
>
> Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
> dfuIDLE, continuing
> Transfer Size = 0x1000
> dfu_upload error -84
>

> and on laptop dmesg says
> [43721.827595] NETDEV WATCHDOG: usb0: transmit timed out
> and FR went to reboot after it was done reading that partition.

That's a networking error; it probably happened at another time. The dfu
error shouldn't happen AFAIK; it might be a u-boot or dfu-util bug.

> I wonder if that error is actually an error or just a sign that it read
> everything which was provided and just didn't have proper end of
> connection (phone just went to boot). I guess it should be safe to flush
> those downloaded files back into FR, right? :-) Would it be safe to
> remove trailing 0xFFs?

It should be safe to remove the trailing blocks (not the trailing 0xFFs;
if you don't know the erase block size, better not to try), u-boot
should erase the whole partition before writing (that didn't happen on
the original GTA01 u-boot, but that bug has been fixed for a very long
time).

I wouldn't remove them, however; just gzip the file, as long runs of
repeated bytes compress very well.

--
Cesar Eduardo Barros
cesarb at cesarb.net