Freerunner (GTK2007.2) has suddenly become unbootable

casaubon jputhoff at
Wed Jul 30 04:00:52 CEST 2008

Niccolo Rigacci wrote:
> I got the same problem, solved flashing a kernel image via the
> U-Boot menu. Here my notes (in Italian, sorry):
> I got the missing kernel image (uImage-<something>.bin) from the
> and followed the instruction here:
> Remember also to copy the image file into /boot/ once you can ssh
> the Neo again.
> --
> Niccolo Rigacci

Thanks for the help, but I am still having problems. I followed the
instructions here:

to partition, format and populate my SD card with the uImage and rootfs
found here:

The phone begins to boot, but fails with a kernel panic. The last lines it
spits out are:

VFS:cannot open root device "mmcblk0p2" or unknown block(179,2)
please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
1f00   2048   mtdblock0 (driver?)

b300   495488 mmcblk0 driver: mmcblk
  b301 8536   mmcblk0p1
  b302 486864 mmcblk0p1
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on

"mmcblk0p2" is the ext3 partition on the SD card with the .jjfs2 file in it.
Does anyone know why the filesystem on my sd card does not mount properly?