SD card corruption?

Russell Sears sears at cs.berkeley.edu
Thu Jul 31 19:34:36 CEST 2008

My FR's SDHC card's partition table became corrupted recently.  Any
ideas why?  I'm using a sandisk 8GB SDHC.  This happened over the
weekend, and it's been since I reformatted the card monday morning.

The following things happened between when it was known-good, and
known-bad.  I'm running an updated factory image:

- opkg update
    - (Updated with "deadly" kernel package that zeros out the kernel
image then fails to reflash)
- Attempted to upload contents of flash to laptop.  It produced a big
file full of garbage on my laptop.
- Flashed + Booted using qtopia kernel.  Bad crashes happened.
- Booted using correct (hand converted) kernel
- Enabled suspend/resume.  Resume worked, but broke pulse audio
- Disabled suspend/resume.

Anyway, I'd like to know which of these things killed the partition
table so I can file a bug report (if appropriate).  Any ideas?